Tuesday, May 11, 2010

DBA II/11 Gauls

Well, there is a 15mm DBA comp in Christchurch in a couple of months (book 2 armies only) that the local DBAers are gearing up for. I have narrowed down my options to the following:
  • Numidians
  • Gauls
  • Visigoths

The Visigoths are probably the most flexible of the three, Numidians would be very challenging to run, and the Gauls pretty one dimensional but I'm leaning towards fielding those (Warband, chariots and a couple of cav!)! So last night I was supposed to sit down and paint up my 15mm Gauls/Visigoths that are part of my ill-fated 15mm FoG army so I can run them ina play test at the club next week. However, I go side tracked by Wargames factory Roman Axillary Cavalry (which are going to be the cavalry elements of my Early Imperial Rome 28mm army) and rebasing my 28mm Warlord Games Celts/Gauls. My initial bases were too shallow (8x 5cm- which are now the depth for "blades"). All my warband type forces are now on 8x6cm and I've been putting off re-basing the Celts but did so last night.

This change of periods/scales was also partially in response to having ordered the Warlord Games Imperial Roman starter army. With figures working $1NZ or less (when bought in bulk) they are actually cheaper than comparable 15mm figures! I'll have far too many but can always grow that army. I also ordered a couple of chariots for the Celts (one for the general), a Roman warmachine and some Numidian light horse (to start the 28mm Numidan army) so have even more painting ahead of me.

It is hard to get inspired to paint 15mm DBA figures on standard bases when big based 28mm looks so much more dynamic!

To me this looks like a barbaric horde!









Wargames Factory Germans as the Cav element.


Psiloi


Tomorrow night I'm supposed to be playing Dave at Lasalle so hopefully will manage a few pictures.
Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment