Friday, August 20, 2010

Work in Progress for HoTT

Finn is fired up about Boris the Beastman and is talking about gettng his own minis and learning to paint. I've plenty of crappy GW figures I picked up when I was starting to collect WoTR forces late last year which might be donated to his cause. However, he has has inspired me to do some work on the HoTT War of the Rings armies- that and I'm about painted out in historics at present and need to do something a bit different.

I've a lot of minis to rebase. I haven't really done anything with Rohan infantry yet as I figured that I can use my Vikings as generic human infantry to boost numbers. But last night I started to work on rebasing a few bits and pieces- a couple of stands of Warg Riders, 2x trolls (Finn's favourites) as well as 3 x bases of Rangers. I love the ranger models, the only thing that annoys me is that they are giants compared to the Rohan figures. I am also going to rebase the Orc scouts (my favourites in the orc range) as I've decided that all infantry for HoTT are going to be on 8cm x 6cm bases and cav/monsters on 8cm x 7cm ones. I'ma lso going to stick with 6 figs per base for the HoTT/fantasy forces.

One thing that I have been considering is doing like Mark Davies and using DBA rather than HoTT! The main areas that would be improved would be in that the rangers could count as auxillia as could my wood elves (when I ger round to painting them). It seems strange to me that wood elf spears are at a disadvantage fighting in their natural terrain (woods) and so auxilia might be more appropriate for them than warband as I'd originally considered. Monsters such as trolls would be considered to be elephants. Not sue what to do about beasts, maybe light horse.

Tonight's mission is to finish off the bases while most of the weekend will be taken up with DBA and TAGCON.





Craig

3 comments:

  1. Contemplating a similar move with the LOTR figures I accumulated here.. they are unlikely to be sued for their original games system

    Kind regards
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the figures, and got the WoTR game hoping it would be okay for my 8yr old son but its too dice heavy for him- whereas HoTT and DBA with a single die is nice and straight forward.

    He is very excited about using the trolls!

    Craig

    ReplyDelete
  3. TROLLS!! Oh Yes... "Oh good, they've got a cave troll!!'

    KInd regards
    Robin

    ReplyDelete