Wednesday, September 18, 2019

KoW Historics- Ancient Spanish vs Carthage

Tonight I popped round to see Kent for one of our not quite frequent enough games. Tonight my Ancint Spanish vs his Carthaginians (1200 points) using Kings of War. As with all the games we've played so far it made for an entertaining and close fought game.

Kent fielded:
2x spear regiments
1x Sacred band regiment
1x Elephant
2x Light Cavalry regiments
1x General
1x Musician

My Ancient Spanish
2x Ancient spanish (with throwing weapons)
2x Celteberian Warriors
2x Caetrati (skirmishers)
2x Spanish Med Cav
1x Gallic Light Cav

We played invade, the objective being to have your troops in your opponent half of the board at the end of the game.

Turn 1 the Ancient Spanish advance their skirmisher screen.

Kent counters with a steady advance.

I held back my celteberian warriors as reserve.

My cavalry advances on the open right flank

Kent sends his light cavalry forward with the elephant in close support.

Turn 3 and all is going well so far though I've lost some skirmishers..

My warriors and the light horse clash.

Gallic light cav vs spears, not ideal.

The elephant crashes into the Celteberians who hold...for now

The battle dissolves into a series of melees.

 On my far left flank my ancient spanish take on the Sacred band while the medium cavalry prepares to charge in to support them.


I have a couple of units waver and Kent's general finishes them off.

The elephant turns round to try to kill my cavalry.

The musician routs my skirmishers.
 Turn 7 not much is left-  battles tend to be bloody in Kings of War.


Result: A hard fought draw.

My plan was simple, avoid the elephant and/or the Sacred Band, I knew I couldn't probably deal with both. As Kent reminded me though afterwards, even a single hit each round would have canceled the elephants thunderous charge so maybe I should have tried to deal with it  bit more, my main strategy being to avoid it.

Still it was an enjoyable and fun game. I look forward to the next one, maybe even with a few more points next time...

Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment