Monday, August 1, 2011

One down...

Tonight's effort- 3 hours and only 6 figures painted- it was only a test but I will need to speed up! My first ever 28mm Napoleonics- not bad for a first crack but the final green highlight may be a bit too light. I'll see what they look like in the morning.







I'm still not sure of the basing. These are some 5cm wide trial bases. 6 figures looks good but it will be ALOT of painting. I don't really like the look of 4 figs on a 5 cm wide base (as per the two flanking stands).


I played round with a couple of options. The guys below are on 4.5 cm wide bases (by 5cm deep). I actually prefer this look. The .5 cm less width per base means that the figures are slightly closer together and looks "right" to me. If I go for this basing (and 16 figure battalions) it means less painting but I may need to make movement trays for vs Poochie etc. I don't see 9cm vs 10 cm (or 18 vs 20 cm frontages) as being a big issue and may be the compromise I make to get the get the look that I'm after.




In this shot the two stands on the left are on 4.5 cm wide bases, the two stands on the right are 5cm wide ones- not a great deal of difference but for me the ones of the left look better.



6 comments:

  1. Pretty good effort for 3 hours. Personally I would go with the 6 fig's. I think the closer positioning looks better. The extra painting however would put me off though. So...um... good luck with deciding which way to go. Sorry I am not much help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 6 figs does look fantastic.... I am guessing they dont rank up nicely enough to do 5 per base?

    The green does look a bit light, but those grenadier helms are ace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd go for the bases on the left, look much better if going for 4 to a base

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kent has decided to keep 4 figs per base so that has sealed it for me.

    I darkened the green with a black wash and it looks better but am now looking for a darker base green (Vallejo) to use

    Craig

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice painting!!
    Try Vallejo Russian Green, or Black Green 980, that's what I used to paint the 15mm horde of Russian Nappies I've recently painted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheers Ray

    I started with Russian Green then Luftwaffe Camo Green & Olive highlights (but they were a bit light). Am going to try adding a bit of black to the base Russian green tonight and will try to get some black green ordered

    Craig

    ReplyDelete