Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Wargames Factory

One of the problems with living at the bottom of the world, is that most mini companies are based in the US or UK/Europe. Often the exchange rate, and postal charges, make buying from overseas pretty expensive, especially if ordering 28mm metal figures. However, the new plastic ranges should make this cheaper and therefore 28mm more of a viable proposition.

I decided to try the Wargames Factory range for one of my 28mm projects (Cathaginians and Republican/Marian Romans). One of the big attractions was the free postage worldwide on orders over US$100- with free postage and a strong NZ dollar (well relatively speaking) I have taken the plunge. My first order arrived this morning:

Ceasars Legions
Roman Axillary Cav
Numidians
Ancient German Cav
and some viking sprues

The figures look great- I agree with reviews about the detail not being too crisp on the Legionaires (the first minis made) but from what I've seen they paint up well. So it looks like I'll be able to get my Marian Roman project started (I intend to also morph them into a late republican army) and also start my Carthaginian army(the legionnaires should also be able to be used as the basis for some imitation legionnaires).

I also received 3 of the viking sprues and must say the quality of the Vikings is outstanding! Looks like I'm going to be busy!

I had a slight issue with the order- had ordered some Numibian sprues to start converting some Carthaginians, send an e-mail to Wargames Factory, and got a reply in less than 10 minutes that the missing sprues were being sent.

What can I say, that is service! These guys have just got themselves a long term customer!

Craig


2 comments:

  1. Gidday Craig.

    A few of us have started regularly taking advantage of Maelstrom games in the UK as well. Postage is free over 10 pd., which takes away a lot of the headache, since you can order a box at a time. Turnaround can be slow with those guys though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers for that- always good to know that some places are making shipping cheaper- I really hate those UK companies that add 40% to "Rest of the World", even when the NZ Peso is relatively high vs the pound it stings.

    ReplyDelete