I found the boards I made for our Arnhem multi-player back in 2007 but have decided I need a few more buildings for it, so thought I'd have a go at scratch building a few out of Foamcore.
I've used my friend Ian's scratchbuilt ones for inspiration- they are the best buildings I have seen and his village looks fantastic. Mine won't be that good but we will see how they turn out.
And here are my first couple, still work in progress. The process is simple. The buildings themselves are foamcore with windowframes made out of 2mm wide cardboard (from a cereal packet). To make painting easier I've used black foamcore. In the past I used white but getting the paint into the window recesses can be a real pain, at least means I don't have to worry so much.
Prototype number 1: To add extra texture once the building is asembled I have coated it in a very light covering of permafilla (hence the white colour)- once painted this gives a slightly rough texture (and is the technique Ian used with his above).
Cobblestones are simply made out of cereal packet, probably a bit big (1cm square) but should look good once painted.
And the second one, slightly bigger so it will hold 4 medium sized FoW bases on each floor.
One suggestion I have (and what I did with the second one) is to paint the interior before assembling! It should make the process a bit easier.
so they are now at the stage where I can paint them- hopefully that will happen in the next few days.
All going well I'd like to make half a dozen or so, but we will see how inspired I am...