Sunday, October 10, 2010

US Paras

Conquest is getting closer and my US para list continues to evolve. I've come up with several differnt versions that need a little refining still. I thought these guys would be easy opt design a lsit for but turns out I was wrong.

What I want:

1. Lots of fearless vet infantry- 2 or three platoons? Many lists/suggestions on the FoW forums seem to go with 2 platoons if supported by two tank platoons, but I am not sure if I like this. I like the idea of a third platoons so that I can get an additional maneuver element (rather than relying on the tanks).

2. tank support- one or two platoons? General consensus is that two or none works best, I think I'll try two. In the battle the other night I was unable to attack the other objective through lack of another mobile unit- or infantry unit for that matter. However, I have not totally discoutned the idea of jsut one, backed up by some 57mm AT guns as my main AT defence.

3. Artillery: at 90 pts for Time on Target, AT 4, FP4+, the para 105s seems a bargain. They would give a double smoke template or be able to hurt dug in teams. Drawbacks? No gun shield and only confident trained. This means they hit less frequently and dig in only 50% of the time!
I know Nick ran 2x 6 gun batteries in his lists when playtesting the HH book, so that is one option- but it does leave a rather large footprint on the table!

My other idea is possibly only a single battery- for smoke and air support as it would mean in missions where defending I can place the artillery on table and roll for air support so get two templates. When used as smoke the trained status is less of an issue and 90pt s for a double smoke template is a good deal! If I take 2 batteries one would be in reserve in most situations as I'd need amour and infantry on table. Attacking, it's less of an issue as more often than not you get all your forces on at the start. OIf coruse a battery of two para mortars (75pts) is another cheap alternative.

So the two lists I'm currently favouring are these:
List 1
HQ 30



12x Paras- SMG 350
9x Paras 255

3x 105mm Artillery (CT) 90
3x 105mm Artillery (CT) 90
4x Shermans (2x fireflies) 390
4x Shermans (1x firefly) 375
Limited Typhoons 170

1750
List 2
1x Para HQ + 1x bazooka 50
9x Paras 255
9x Paras 255
9x Paras 255

3x 105mm Artillery (CT) 90
3x Shermans (1x firefly) 285
4x Shermans (2x fireflies) 390
Limited Typhoons 170
1750
It will depend on how much infantry support I feel I need as to which I end up taking.


In the past few days I've rebased my paras, painted up a third (9 stand) platoon as well as painted up a few shermans and fireflies so will get some picture posted soon.

3 comments:

  1. I posted 2 new lists in your threat on the FoW forum. Lists with infantry and no tanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just saw the rego numbers Craig. Only three for Flames! (only two for WOTR) and only 66 overall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure if Kent and I are included, or Poochie but that is pretty sad if it is the case. The lack TO input may be an issue as it has been in the past couple of years- its always a good weekend just little input from one of the organisers before hand.

    Thanks Hein, interesting looking lists, certainly would take a lot of stopping!

    Craig

    ReplyDelete