- As usual I used a 3mm MDF base.
- I placed some large pine barkchips from the woodpile and glued them into position.
- Next step was to cover the base in permafilla and waited for it to dry. At this point I also covered the bark in watered down PVA- this shrinks as it dries so provides a seal for the bark and prevents it from chipping or flaking when handled (without this step the bark needs an occasional touch up as it tends to get damaged easily).
- I then undercoated the entire base a light tan colour (a colour called Mesa left over from some recent renovations).
- Once that was dry I covered the entire base in PVA and sprinkled the base with beach sand.
- Once that was dry I highlighted with a lighter yellowy-tan (called Casa from the local paint shop).
Updated 29th March
A photo taken on a sunny day- looks much more deserty in sunlight!
I think I might try the same technique to make wadis