Thursday, December 7, 2017

BA: Kiwi Armour vs LW Germans 1200pts

Popped down to the club last night for a game vs Ken C's LW veteran Germans. Kent couldn't make it so it was only Ken and I.

Ken ran:

  • HQ
  • 2x squads 
  • 1x pioneers with flamethrower
  • Pak 38
  • 81mm Mortar
  • Panzer IV



My Kiwi armour was:

  • 3x Shermans
  • 1x Staghound armoured car
  • 2x Veteran squads
  • MMG
  • 3" mortar
  • Sniper
  • Observer


We rolled up Point Defence and since I was armour gave Ken the option of attack and defend and which board side he wanted to defend from. He chose to defend and paled his pak, 2x squads and HQ on table. My artillery barrage managed a couple of pins but that was about it.

Germans defend the river- the objectives were a bren carrier near the top of the picture, a panzer IV and HQ.

The staghound leads the advance.

On my far right flank two Shermans take cover behind a low hill. A panzer IV can be seen in the far distance.

Turn 2, the German defences are holding.

The kiwi MMG and mortar take up positions.

The staghound fires on the pak 38, the pak took a direct hit form the mortar at the start of turn 2 but the sole survivor managed to keep the gun firing for the rest of the battle. The staghound was ambushed by a German anti-tank weapon and knocked out before it could fire on the pak.

On my left the third Sherman covers my second sections advance.

Infantry and shermans cooperating. Alas the German mortar ranged in on my command Sherman dropping shell after shell on it, managing to not only disable it but also inflict 7 pins by the end of the game!

The Shermans manage to knock out the panzer IV in the distance

On my left my attack has stalled as I try to deal with the pioneers advancing through the fields.

A good offense is the best form of defence. Ken counter attacks aggressively to try to blunt my attack. The infantry fired a coule of panzerfuasts but missed the sherman, then close assaulted it but the tank was hardly scratched and the Germans retreated.
 The pionners MG 42 ripped into my section, killing 3 men with its first burst.

I send up my section to protect the shermans.

Still no movement on the left, the Sherman refsuing to move as ordered.

Last turn, my section assault an kill the pioneers. after the fluffed their attack with the flamethrower.

Too little, too late though, victory to the Germans.

Had we had a 7th turn then my Sherman was in prime position to grab one objective but it wasn't to be. I spent 1-2 turns too long being stationary and trying to shoot with my vehicles rahter than keep the pressure on by advancing. A couple of failed orders in the final turn meant that my units stalled but as the old saying goes keep your eye on the ball, or in this case objectives, I didn't and that cost me in the end. Ken timed his counter attacks well though and these halted me in my tracks. A good fun game, and as always with BA there were moments where both of us rued our luck. I look forward to another game soon.

Craig

2 comments:

  1. Cheers Kiwi. Games are few and far between these days unfortunately but thoroughly enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete