Winterfest (Bedecon) is fast approaching and the theme this year is the Winter War on the East Front 44-45. So it’s time to start trying to come up with some ideas.
When Bede first proposed Winterfest last year my first reaction was to take Cossacks. I’ve now got Red Bear so I’m starting to go through some ideas:
Option 1: Cossacks
Guards Cossacks- FT
- · HQ 35
- · 2x Mt Cossack Platoons 205
- · 3x Dismounted Cossack Platoons - x HMG 275
- · Regimental Gun Platoon: 4x Zis 2 185
- · Tank Killer Company: 4x M10s 250
- · Cossack Tankovy Company: 8x Valentines 260
- · Guards Heavy Tanks: 3x JS II- 3x AA MG 420
- 3x M 16 MGMC AA Halftracks 120
Option : Scouts instead of the AA.
Option 2: Motostelkovy.
Mostostrelkovy get a pretty bad rap and many people think there are far better (read more competitive) way to run Soviets but they do have some advantages:
- · Lots of interesting support choices so it really is a flexible force.
- · All infantry are armoured with SMGs
So I am very tempted to run motostrelkovy but pinning down what to put into it is far harder than I originally thought. However, the whole point of the army is to take SU 76s so they are a must have unit.
My main issues?
- 1. Size of motostrelk companies: Some players on the Bf forums seem to be recommending single platoon companies (representing worn down companies) but I think a 2 platoon company dug in and supported by Zis 2s could be hard to shift off an objective but also have some survivability going forward.
- 2. Tank support: T45/85 are a good all rounder unit, IS 2s or IS 85s, or even ISU 122s- I just like the look of the ISU 122.
- 3. High end AT: ISU 122s or SU 100s in this role.
- 4. Red army or Guards (confident or fearless?) the main difference being a slight difference in company size.
A couple of options are as follows:
Red Army Motostrelkovy (CT)
- · HQ 30
- · 8x Motostrelkovy (SMG) 130
- · 15x Motostrelkovy (SMG) + HMG 265
- · 9x Razvedki- M3A1s (FT) 205
- · 5x T34/85s- AT 12 (cupolas) 400
- · 4x 57mm AT guns- AT 11 155
- · 4x SU 100- AT 16 310
- · 4x SU 76- AT 9 150
- · 3x Spetnez- (FT) 100
o Total 1745
Guards Motostrelkovy (FT)
- · HQ 35
- · 8x Motostrelkovy (SMG), 1x HMG, Kom 195
- · 8x Motostrelkovy (SMG), Kom 155
- · 9x Razvedki- M3A1s 205
- · 4x 57mm AT guns- AT 11 180
- · 3x IS-85 385
- · 4x SU 100 345
- · 4x SU 76 (CT) 150
- · 3x Spetnez- (FV) 100
At this stage I'm leaning towards the Motostrelkovy, its not the meanest force round but has the potential to be effective if used properly. So I guess my main issues are:
- 1. 5x T34/85s or 3x IS-85s (no Hens & Chicks)
- 2. 3x ISU 122 or 4x SU 100
- 3. 2x min strength companies, or 1x 2 platoon & 1x 1 platoon.
I need a few practice games so sort out options